Thursday, August 5, 2010

PRK Laser Eye Surgery


PRK is a type of laser eye surgery. People choose PRK when they are not candidates for Lasik. Check out this video on PRK. I was not a candidate for Lasik because my cornea was a funny shape which could lead to 'flap' complications. Because I am an avid martial artist (currently studying Krav Maga) PRK was recommended because there would be no risk in losing a flap in case poked in the eye.

I had PRK done in May of 2010. It's been nearly 5 months post op and I still have blurry vision in my left eye. Prior to PRK my vision was 20/800. I could not see at all unless I had my glasses on. After PRK there is a blur around everything but it's been clearing slowly. I've been told by the doctor I am healing slowly. Still hopeful and still healing. Some days vision is better than others but overall things seem to be improving. After reading about all the pain associated with PRK I was concerned but fortunately suffered just one evening of pain that lasted a couple of hours. This occurred three or four days after surgery. I suffered none of the side effects associated with PRK that I read about (halo's, dry eyes or the feeling there is something in my eye). Only the first week was uncomfortable but bearable if only because there is a contact lens in your eye after the surgery. Once removed there was the occasional sensation something was in my eyes but it was mild and cleared up over about two weeks. I use drops once or twice a day and really don't even need them since splashing water on my face and getting a little into my eyes seems to work the same.

Update: nearly 5 months out my eyes have cleared noticeably since the previous month. I tested 20/40 in the left eye and 20/25 in the right eye last week. There is less reason to rely on my reading glasses and I can use the computer comfortably without reading glasses now. I hope things continue to clear but 'see' now that everything is going to be ok and my vision has been improved so I no longer need glasses!

Update: nearly 6 months out my vision has continued to improve. I can read smaller print easier than last month and sometimes make it thru an entire day without reading glasses. At night my vision blurs somewhat but most of the time everything is clear. I still need reading glasses when reading for an extended period.

Update: My vision seems to have cleared up nicely over the past two weeks. It's been just over 6 months and I can make it thru the day without reading glasses except for maybe late at night just before bed. I don't know why this is? But I feel comfortable now moving thru the day without glasses and can see everything around me clearly both near and far. Yesterday I picked up a menu with lots of small print and was able to read it without any trouble. I think reading glasses will become a part of my life but at 45 years old that seems appropriate. I can do my workouts without worrying about glasses. I wake up in the mornings able to see - in fact, the clock is very clear. As I type, my reading glasses are off to the side unused.

If you decide to go for PRK, based on my experience, you will need two weeks off from work. After that you will need to set your computer resolution so things appear larger on your screen for a couple of months. Everything will have a blur for at least three months. After that things begin clearing up but vision fluctuates from day to day. You will wonder if you made the correct decision and you will worry about pain and discomfort tho this was not an issue for me. Dry eyes are not a problem a drop or two a day can't fix.

So 6 months was the time required for my eyes to heal from PRK and as clear as things are right now, I think my vision may continue improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment